top of page
FAQ header image.jpg


You've got questions,
we've got answers.

What file formats can I submit for printing?

PDF, is the best format to submit. But we can also work with the following file types:


ai*, eps*, indd*, doc, xls, ppt, psd, tif, tiff, jpg, bmp, gif, png, pub


*please be sure to send along any linked files and fonts used in these types

How do you send digital files back to the customer?

We do send digital files back to clients via e-mail if the files are 5MB and less.


We also host an ftp where you can pick up files. Or we can use an application like Dropbox or weTransfer to send the files back. Our Preflight Department will contact you.

What is Preflight and why do you charge for it?

Preflight is a term used in the printing industry to describe the process of confirming that the digital files required for the printing process are all present, valid, correctly formatted, and of the desired file type. The term originates from the pre-flight checklists used by pilots. The term was first used in a presentation at the Color Connections conference in 1990 by consultant Chuck Weger. See Wikipedia pre-flight (printing) for more details


Pay a little up front to avoid larger costs down the road. Some of the latest surveys done in the graphic communications industry in North America have shown that 90% of files coming into a shop, need some kind of special attention before they are print ready. This is partly due to the amount of different applications that are on the market and the fact that not all work coming in is being designed by a professional designer with a clear understanding of what is needed from a file. This pre-emptive strike involves qualified staff and a small cost. Rileys needs to open every file and put it through a quick checklist in order to avoid a problem in production. This helps a file from going sideways during production.

What is a proof?

A proof is a one-off copy of your job which is used as a check before we go ahead and print your whole order. Typically, we will only complete hard copy proofs if it is requested by the customer, or if you are ordering a large quantity.


You will receive a digital proof from Rileys anytime we are required to create or make any changes to your file. When you receive a digital proof, you will most likely receive all printing specs at the same time. We will use this as a final sign off that all information is correct and we can proceed with your job.

What is a Pantone?

Pantones are predetermined colours used in the Pantone Matching System (PMS) which is used by the print industry. It allows us to standardize colours across various equipment using specific variances of RGB or CMYK. If you are struggling to achieve the right colours in print compared to your monitor, you will most likely be asked to refer to Pantone swatches so we can ensure your colours are correct!

What is the difference between large and small format?

Small format is considered anything under 12x18 in size, whereas large format is anything larger than 12x18. The reason we separate them out is to keep production organized as typically there are two different workflows, including equipment; that handle the services.

What does half size mean?

Half size is a 50% reduction, most often used for construction drawings. One thing to keep in mind that half size is HALF of the length and HALF of the width, which really equals a QUARTER of your sheet size.


For example, if your original page size is 24”x36”, half size will be 12”x18”.

What is full bleed?

When printing a document on a digital printer, the paper needs to be held at the edges during the process, therefore, there will always be an eighth to a quarter inch white border on your print. If you don’t want that white border and you want your image or colour to go right to the edge, that is called full bleed.


Full bleed documents are printed differently, instead, we print them on a larger size of paper to accommodate the extra image needed in order to get a nice clean cut and have no white border. Full bleed documents must be set up with extra image (bleed), and marks for us to follow to trim to end size (crop marks). If you are unsure of how to set up your file to be full bleed, please contact one of our CSR’s and they will happily assist you!

What are the standard bindery options?

For binding books, proposals, specs and other documents; there are 3 main bindery types we offer:

Spiral (Coil) bound - it sounds exactly like the name, it is a plastic spiral available in an array of colours. This bindery style is ideal for a book that will be flipped through frequently such as a journal, planner or notebook.

Cerlox (Comb) bound - a cerlox is a plastic comb with a thick spine. This bindery style is ideal for specifications and manuals which may have changes as it is easy to unbind and remove/replace pages as needed.

Wiro (Twin loop) bound - wiro binding is great for adding an industrial or crafty finish to your print job. Wiro is great for proposals and presentation documents. It is not recommended to be used for documents which may have changes as you cannot reuse wiro binding once it is removed. 

How do I pay my invoice?

In-person - if you are picking up your job, you can pay for your invoice in person using credit, debit or cash. 

Phone - Rileys is able to accept credit card payments via phone. Please note, we do not store any credit card numbers for security purposes.

PayPal - pay your invoice via PayPal if you have it connected to your eStore. 

Cheque or Transfer - all account invoices can be paid via cheque or money transfer. Please contact us today if you wish to set up an account  or learn more about this form of payment. 

How long do you store customer print files for?

We keep files active till we are done printing your job, and then they are archived to our servers. Because of the volume that we deal with, we keep most files for 2 years only.

For customers who print the same files regularly, we set up a personalized eStore to catalogue all these items for submission.

What is the difference between CMYK and RGB?

RGB or Red, Green, and Blue, refer to light like from your TV or computer screen or on a scanner.


CMYK or Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and black, refer to ink printed on any media like paper. "K" is used to indicate black instead of a "B" to avoid possible confusion over Blue ink.

How do I get my job once it is completed?

All customers are welcome to pick up their jobs from one of our locations, or send their own courier to pick up items.

We also offer delivery service with local drivers in Calgary and Edmonton. We employ local couriers and major shipping companies to manage our deliveries for out-of-town customers and even have relationships with LTL and FTL companies to get your items delivered!

How long will it take to complete my job?

Every job is different depending on size, complexity and volume of work. Let us know when you need your job completed for, if we have an issue meeting your timeline a customer service representative will contact you right away.

What is the difference between the various paper weights?

Paper weight is the thickness of the paper. It is described in pounds (written lb or #).


Bond – the most common type of paper, this is 20lb or 24lb. When you print something to your home or office paper, this is typically the paper you use. It is also used for stationery such as letterhead and forms.


Text – higher quality paper with a coating to increase saturation and help your print colours pop! Text is often used for brochures, marketing materials, proposals and any items which you want your images to stand out.


Cover – sometimes referred to as cardstock, it comes in various thicknesses and sometimes can be referred to in points (pts) rather than pounds (lb). Cover is most often used for business cards, proposal covers, post cards and advertising materials.

The catalogue of paper available to our customers is endless. If you are unsure of what stock you’d like your job printed on, contact one of our CSR’s and they can walk you through making your decision!

What are the common paper sizes?

Letter – 8.5”x11”

Legal – 8.5”x14”

Tabloid – 11”x17”

How do I understand scale as it pertains to large format drawings?

Construction drawings can be plotted at many different sizes, depending on what is set in the criteria. As a print provider, it is important we always maintain the proper scale of the drawings. Scale refers to the measurements of the drawing components and how they reflect the construction of a project. If you are unsure of what size the drawings are you need printed, you can simply tell us to ‘print to scale’ and we will ensure the correct paper size is selected.

What are the different folds called?

Engineer fold - folding 11x17 pages in half and then folding the half sheet into a quarter to create an accordion. This is used when you are binding 11x17 pages into an 8.5x11 document. 

Bi-fold - folding a piece of paper in half. This is commonly used for magazines.

Tri-fold - folding a piece of paper into three sections where the flaps all tuck in to each other. This is most commonly used for brochures. 

Z fold - folding a piece of paper into three sections like an accordion. Can be used as an alternative to a tri-fold.

Gate fold - folding a piece of paper into three sections, where the two outside sections meet in the middle to form a "gate" to the inside centre section.

I need more copies, how can I easily re-order my job?

If you have no changes to your document and just need additional copies, you can re-order with ease! 

Online order form ( - give us a call, or send us an email with your online order form job number. We can pull it up and re-print your order!

eStore - need to track the status of your re-order? Go into your profile and find the original submission, click on the re-order button and follow the instructions. Need just a simple re-print? Give us a call or send us an email with your eStore (DSF)  number and we will put it into production!

When in doubt, just call or email us! If you are unsure of how it was submitted, but you just need more, we can help get your request put into the system. 

How can I open my own customized eStore?

Starting your own eStore is easy and exciting! Contact us today to start the process! 

Rileys will link you with an Account Executive or Project Coordinator to work with you to create the perfect store. 

We start by touring you through our eStore module; from there, we discover what items you require and start putting together a site customized to your logo and brand. 

We will implement printing specifications, online pricing, and ordering protocols all to your needs. Final step is training and implementation, allow our team to assist you with deploying this new tool to your team and helping ensure a smooth transition to your new system!

Girl Using Laptop


Try using our Live Chat feature in the bottom right hand corner!

Our Live Chat is available Monday to Friday during regular business hours. 

If we are not able to help you right away, don't worry; your message will be emailed to us to respond to as quickly as possible. 

bottom of page